Monday, January 16, 2012

The One that started about organic nailcare, then some products got in the way

Organic Nail Care is no easy feet. Not many companies cater to at home nail care taking into consideration the ingredients put into their products. I love my beauty products, and I'd love to be more eco-friendly with them, but not at the expense of losing the fun of it, or if it makes it harder.

For Christmas I was given a bunch of nail polishes.Two were organic seeing as I am trying to move into a natural world of beauty this seemed like a good time to test them against what I already use . The first was Karma Organic Nail Polish - Curtain Call (Venom).

It is a delectable color in dark, sultry maroon/almost purple.

Its the kind of color that makes me happy its winter and I can indulge in all the colors I would have worn if I was a vampire, which is exactly how this color makes me feel.

Link
It also happens to be all natural, non-toxic, and free of Formaldehyde, Toluene, Phthalates (DBP)

Not only is the line toxic free its also cruelty free, uses recyclable packaging, and has a great mission statement.

As for the color itself, the organic lines tend to have a more watery consistency, so it takes a few coats to get the shade you desire, but it dries very fast, and the smell is very mild. All in all, I would trade this line in for any of my old stand buys. They seem to only have a small number of colors in basics, muted on both sides of light and dark. Lights perfect for business meetings and darks perfect for going out on the town or to dinner and a movie.

I bought it online with amazon at a cost of $9.99, with many colors to come, this might be my standby for my dark colors replacing my OPI and ESSIE box of nail polishes spilling over. These colors are not as complex or thick as their synthetic counterparts at OPI and the big name brands but they lack the chemicals, and I actually like that the consistency lets my nails try quicker without needing a ton of other topcoat, base coat, unnecessary other bottles on top of them too.

The Second organic bottle I received was from a organic salon and the line is called No-Miss Cosmetics "healthy alternative products you can afford" toots their sponsors.

Now this company, which I had previously never heard of goes one step beyond not including all the bad stuff like Kharma, but actually includes a UV inhibitor in the polish to save your nails from the heat.

The company itself has its own mission statement: "No-Miss has taken a New, Innovative, Young and Fresh way to market & manufacture cosmetics for the New Generation, using natural resources to develop non-chemical, non-cancerous products without harming the environment"

I Think that's pretty cool they are working so hard in their industry to make beauty that matters all around. I also like that they seem to be a smaller scale independent beauty retailer on the market, and who doesn't love supporting small businesses. Now, about the nail polish itself:
BIKINI PINK


The nail color is in Bikini Pink. The color itself is very fun. Light pink with strips of cream and brighter hues as you shake the bottle. It glides on thicker than the Kharma polish, and more like other store brand polishes, but takes only 1-2 coats to get the color right. Its a muted pink-mauve and I like it. Not too beachy, but enough color without being too boring. It takes a lot of time for it to dry, much longer than I am used to, but all in all this is another one that will be replacing my ESSIE old colors.

So the consensus is as far as organic nail polish goes, it is no different than regular nail polish. The prices seem about the same, the quality the same, although the colors are a bit more muted and day glo and seem to lack deeper color complexity in shimmery tones or glitter, but I would say just as good and because of the great mission statements and lack of baddy additives I would say they come out on top of the nail polish trend. So if you're going to do your own nails, I say go organic, and I would definitely recommend these companies. Especially Kharma's Venom. I'm wearing it right now and I feel empowered to go out an dance or at least try and sit sultry at a bar ordering red and listening to jazz. That's what this color makes me want to do.

What do your nail colors make you feel like? Do they take you to another world? Do you match them with the event you are going, or on the weekends do you decide the color you choose will choose what you feel like doing that weekend. A sunny yellow might mean you feel like doing a beach weekend, a dark black might mean a late night concert, and glitter means you are pretty much ready for wherever the party will be!

No comments:

Post a Comment