Sunday, January 8, 2012

Its 2012, and wow I need to start writing again

Hello again! It has been ages since I have gone back to writing. A lot has happened so here's a recap, and since apparently I only catch up on stuff when its the New Year, here are the major differences since last I wrote:
- I am now a full-fledged professional. I have an office, a stapler, business cards that I do not make on my own computer, and people actually listen to the things I say and actively participate in my advice (well, usually anyway).
- I'm a real lawyer. This should fall into the same category as number one, but the surprising thing is I actually love (almost) every minute of it.
- I moved back in with my parents...sad, backwards transition period
- My BF lives far, far away and we have been struggling with ups and downs of long distance
- We will either make or break in 6-8 months from now
- I am actively paying my loans back
- My BFF had a baby, and he's the cutest thing I've ever seen, and everytime I listen to him it makes me realize my biological clock is getting close to the time I should want to have my own soon

And now for the Resolutions...its really just one big one I need to incorporate into all aspects of my life...I need to be more selfish and act on my first responses!
Now, this might seem like a terrible resolution, but I've hit that point in my life that I know very soon I will have to make some big changes, like moving out, buying a house/renting an apartment, seriously devoting all my money to investments/stocks/retirement/getting completely out of debt, and need to think about getting into a serious relationship involving marriage and kids. Obviously this all takes time, and planning, and whatnot, but I feel like I spent a significant period of time worrying about all this stuff last year.

Now, I have a great job I like, I have some extra cash, I am single (as in not married, I of course am completely in love and devoted to HWSNBNITB), and this first year of getting a new job and working so hard for everything should lead one to have at least a little bit of selfish time.

So from now on, I am going to spend more time, money, and energy on working on myself and whatever makes me happy. Obviously, going overboard is out of the question because I do still need to be realistic about all my previous goals, but I am going to give myself this year to just enjoy being a single professional. If I want to go to a fancy dinner once in awhile I will. If I want to blow off snobby work functions and go to yoga instead I will. And if I want to spend an obscene amount of money on a gorgeous pair of shoes, or a massage, or a to die-for lipstick, then I will. I have very few years ahead of me lacking all serious responsibilities, so instead of rushing towards them, I am going to spend one year just indulging. 2012 is going to be my year of me to have the healthy, happy indulgent carefree lifestyle having the time and the means to do so allows me. So here's to a glass of champagne on a Saturday afternoon, and taking an afternoon off to get a massage.

I feel like too many people dive right into real world responsibilities upon entering the real world. That's not why I worked so hard in school. I worked hard so I can find a job I like to go to, have the money to allow me some indulgences, and the time to keep healthy. I now have the ability to do all that. So rather than bemoan living at home, and paying off my loans, and being sad I'm not yet engaged and planning a wedding or having a baby or house hunting, I am going to spend this year relishing the things I could never allow myself before.

I will have tons of time to work my ass of for my career, find the right guy and settle down, and stress about babies and houses. For right now, I just want to enjoy some time at yoga, playing with my puppy, splurge on a great meal, good bottle of wine, and some fancy beauty products. And take a moment to talk to my relatives, my best friends, and send surprise presents to my loved ones. My loans will still be there to pay off next year, my job will always let me work harder, and investments will come in time. But for now, I want to plant trees, volunteer, talk to my friends, have great hair, buy great fruits and veggies, and sleep in whenever I can.

So here's to me for 2012. My year of selfishness to act like I'm 17 with a professional's salary and just be me. To spend the time to not be in shape but be healthy and happy. To buy presents for no reason. To take days off to do nothing but read in my rocking chair. To play with my dog, and to just relax and splurge for me and my loved ones. To not worry about my eggs, or my ringless finger, and just let things come. To have a year to reap the benefits to hard work and sacrifice.

In fact, I am going to sign off and buy that fancy yoga mat I've had my eye on. Ta ta for now!

No comments:

Post a Comment