Wednesday, April 8, 2009

No More Hippies

I don't want to be a hippie chick, I really don't. The main reason for this is because this classification truly doesn't exist for 98% of people who get described as such. "Hippie chicks" only have two classifications, (a)flighty, with very little need for thought outside of peace, harmony and happiness, (b) crazed lunatics that try to blow up large corporations because PETA has told them to. I'm actually quite the opposite. I have anxiety about nearly everything and my brain is usually overloaded with thoughts about how the world is a far scarier place than the average person thinks it is, plus I am way too lazy to ever concoct a plan to blow up anything. Therefore, I sit far outside of both of these "Hippie chick" mediums. So I find myself having the spend a significant period of my existence trying to explain to people I just meet that I am in no way inclined to act in either of these vanes mainly because someone has described me to them as a hippie chick. Yes, I like the idea of the world being in harmony. Yes, I believe that watching cherry blossoms on a windy day is a transcendental experience. Yes, I like tie-dye. However, my questions is not what makes these types of things hippie-esque, but why does the average person not like them.

I've heard people describe the way someone else thinks as, "she likes puppy dogs and rainbows," and the person they are speaking to nods his head in recognition. Does this mean the descriptor does NOT like puppy dogs and/or rainbows? Does it mean this person cannot comprehend ideas more complex than that of a puppy dog or a rainbow? If so, this is highly misguided because I actually think rainbows take up a good deal of complex thought.

All I'm saying is that we all tend to be too judgmental with each other, especially with people who tend to have a positive outlook on life, mainly because it is a lot easier to make depression look intellectual than it is to make happiness look as such. I prefer the latter. I would also prefer that on first impression, people would not assume because I want the world to be better I have nothing valuable to add to a conversation. I'm not a hippie chick. If anything, I'm a wannabe.

No comments:

Post a Comment